[vlc] Re: Problem installing vlc on Fedora Core 4

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon Aug 28 17:04:43 CEST 2006

Regis Gras wrote:
> Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> But .... I wanted to see a video xxx.wmv and vlc said:
>
> # vlc
> VLC media player 0.8.5 Janus
> [00000326] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc
> `WMV3'.
> VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
>
> Could you tell me what kind of video I can use with vlc

You are too eager ;-) VLC will support wmv3 from version 0.8.6 and
onwards. This means our development version already supports wmv3, but
the stable version 0.8.5 doesn't.

Unfortunately for you there are no nightly builds for fedora core. So
you'll have to compile vlc yourself if you want to view xxx.wmv files.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.