[vlc] Re: [streaming] Re: Trying to emulate VLC streaming in a test equipment, but failing

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Fri Dec 15 15:57:46 CET 2006

Jean-Paul,

Thanks a lot for your response and explanation.

> The test equipment should update the version numbers of the
> PAT and PMT if they change. And set the discontinuity bit
> in the TS header.
> Basically your test equipment isn't following MPEG2-TS
> specifications.

My test equipment has no idea that it is playing a video
stream. It is a network tester and just plays back the
traffic bytes that I load into it. In this case, the
traffic bytes happen to be a video stream that was
captured at the network interface of the PC running
VLC in the streaming mode.

Since my test equipment is not video aware, how do I set the
'discontinuity' bit in the TS header? Are there other tools
that let me do this? I can even do this manually - update
the right byte, once I know which one - in the byte stream
before loading it on the equipment. I have to do this only for
the first TS packet, right?

Since it is looping the same 10-sec video clip forever,
I guess I don't have need to change the PAT and PMT, do I?

> > BTW, I found the 'use sequential numbers instead of
> > timestamps' option in vlc 0.8.6 and enabled it but it didn't
> > make any difference.

I realised later that this obviously wouldn't make any
difference because it has nothing to do with video playback.
I was frantically looking for some setting enable this one
without realising that it is not for video playback but for
'snapshot' mode.

> > FWIW, mplayer can play the stream even from the test equipment
> > but the video quality gets progressively worse. It also can't
> > play the audio which is in mp3 format.
>
> VLC uses the specifications and MPLayer doesn't. So when a
> file can be played with mplayer it doesn't mean the stream is
> according to specification. Only that mplayer is less stringent.

I agree completely. But in this particular case, my goal was to
demo my network functionality and I had to use whatever worked.

If I know more about how to fix my video byte stream, I can make
it more spec compliant and use vlc to play it back.

Thanks again for your explanation.

- Harshal