[vlc] Re: Broadcast Server

Hannes Gruber hg at guzman.at
Wed Jan 4 00:17:35 CET 2006

Ave Torsten,

> http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/streaming-howto-en.html
at the moment I have finished reading this Doc.

> Easiest way to get started is using something like

> vlc <file> --sout udp://127.0.0.1:4567
>
> This sends <file> to udp port 4567 on your local machine. With
>
> vlc udp://@:4567

I thought, that it could work something like this:

To aquire the stream from the capture card (copy and paste from:
http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch10.html#id299086)

   % vlc -vvv --color
   pvr:/dev/video0:norm=secam:size=720x576:frequency=576250:
   bitrate=3000000:maxbitrate=4000000 --cr-average 1000 --sout
   udp:192.168.0.42 --ttl 12

And the broadcast Machine will be:

   vlc -vvv udp:@239.255.12.42
   --sout '#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,acodec=mpga,vb=800,ab=128}:
   standard{access=http,mux=ogg,url=server.example.org:8080}'

239.255.12.42 will be routed to the machine 192.168.0.42
the firewall will also be configured, that only the broadcast Machine
will be allowed to access.

All this is just some idea how I think this could work, I am already
quite positive that it is possible.

Now I will have to setup VLC and start playing around and test quality
and stability. I will get back to the list with more practical
experience and more questions then.

You know, if my idea is pointing into the right direction, or do I have
some serious mistake in my understanding?

BTW, I have just found some old thread of you, getting help from the
list for the LinuxTag 2004.

Do you have any platform preferences or recommendationes? I am
experienced in linux and windows aswell, Mac i don´t have access to.

Hannes

--

Zufallszitat:

"Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never
cease to be entertained." -- (Humor) John Powell

                !!! www.usw.at !!!

         nimm die Herausforderung an