[vlc] VOD on wireless network (RTSP, HTTP ... ?)

Veedis veedis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 09:40:42 CET 2006

Hi,

I've some problem with several protocols to serve video on demand with VLC
on wireless network.

RTSP : I've problem with RTSP on a wireless network because there are lost
of packets with UDP/RTP protocol and quality of the video is bad at some
moment

HTTP : With an apache server, I've a very good quality but don't have the
progress bar to go directly on a moment of the video.

NFS : With NFS there is no problem of quality and progress bar because it's
like playing a local file. But NFS is a weighty protocol on a wireless
network and have always an active connection.

How can I solve my problems with this protocols ? I think the best would be
to have a progress bar with HTTP protocol. Can I use directly VLC as an HTTP
server ?
For RTSP, I've seen the RTSP-over-HTTP option in the new 0.8.5-svn version
but after contacting the developper, this method is not completly
implemented for VOD.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,