[vlc] Re: [OT?] Encrypted Video

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri Jan 6 06:39:41 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 11:32 +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le Mercredi 4 Janvier 2006 10:44, Ow Mun Heng a écrit :
> > 	This may or may not be off-topic, but am wondering if anyone here
> > has any solution towards doing some sort of Video ENcryption on the
> > source Video to protect the file.
>
> > Some sort of DRM on OPen Source.
>
> I suppose you mean access control.

Yep..

> There hasn't been much work on that so far.
Ah..

> UDP streaming has some
> limited support for TS encryption, AFAIK. Otherwise, there's the option
> of HTTP/SSL with/without client authentication, but it is rather
> complex to deploy.

Are there any docs on it anyways? Might be able to just test it out.

> In any case, we'd need a way to deploy keying material.

That is true. Although I've been toying with the idea that the "key" can
be retrieved from a central 'key' server much like pgp and it like a RSA
Key/dongle some banks are giving/providing to customers as additional
protection in online-banking.

The other alternative would be using some sort of CA certs (there's a
free one available) and using that??

I'm just babbling..

--
Ow Mun Heng