[vlc] Using VLC-Player without X

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Jan 11 13:45:30 CET 2006

hi!
I'm going to set up a Linux-Server to use it as Intranet-Webserver and
Jukebox.
So I plan to control VLC over a http-interface, nearly like the one it
includes, but extended by PHP and MySQL by a Media-Database, Wish-Lists
and Song-Ranking and something else.
To be able to set up the server I have some questions.
1) At first I only want to play Music (mostly mp3-Files), but later I
perhaps will extend the system by VLCs Visualisations and Video-Output
through the NVidea Geforce-Graphic-Card. Do I need X-Window to be able
to do that? Do I need it only for Video-Output or generally?
2) How can I extend the http-Interface using PHP? Is it possible to use
VLC-Macros with PHP or should I prefer to allow Command-Line-Commands
for PHP-Scripts? Whats the matter with security-questions in this context?

with kind regards
Peter Wendorff
Student, Germany