[vlc] Freebox & Mac (FR)

Paul MATHIAS pmat at ext.jussieu.fr
Fri Jan 13 11:55:01 CET 2006

Greetings.

For those of you who may not know the French ISP "Free", they offer a
service called "Multiposte" that allows you to watch TV on your computer
connected to their DSL modem, the "Freebox".

To watch TV, you need to use VLC (0.8.4) and open a "File" (in fact:
<http://myfreebox.freebox.fr/freeboxtv/playlist.m3u>), after which you
get a list of TV channels to double-click on and watch the program you
choose.

At this time, I have been able to use the service flawlessly on my PC.

Meanwhile, when I use my Mac, I do get the list of channels, but
double-clicking on any one of them results in three blinking buttons on
the VLC interface, the "fast rewind", "stop", and "fast forward"
buttons. Then not only do I not get any channels to watch, but I can't
quit VLC unless I do a "force quit".

It seems to me there's a bug in the Mac version of VLC that doesn"t
allow the proper use of the service. At "Free" (the ISP), they are (as
usual) totally unable to answer simple questions such as "Do you happen
to know if there's any problem with Macs and "Multiposte"?".

Are there any users "out there" having the same problems as me, or who
would be able to suggest some sort of a solution?

Thanks.

PM