[vlc] Re: Seperate installer for mozilla vlc plugin

Romain Beauxis toots at rastageeks.org
Sat Jan 14 13:22:05 CET 2006

Le Mardi 10 Janvier 2006 18:00, Antoine Cellerier a écrit :
> You could also make an installer that checks for a previously installed
> VLC and installs the mozilla plugin if VLC was found, or just displays a
> message asking the user to download the full VLC installer if VLC
> wasn't found. That wouldn't be too hard, but i don't really see why
> you'd go through the hassle of doing that.

Yep you are right.
After all, I've just tested it on a windows friend, and well, I don't either
see why the plugin should be proposed by default... Instead my friend had to
redo the whole videolan installation, including removing the previous _same_
version, before he could have the plugin installed.

So yes, you might want to avoid the so called hassle of building a seperate
instaler that check for a previous install.. ouch that would mean copy paste
from the actual vlc installer.

But on the other hand, and more over because it is not proposed by default
during the install, you can be sure that nearly no standard windows vlc user
would have it installed, and yep, the hassle will be for them, downloading
again the installer, rerunning it, and don't forget to check the little box
called mozilla plugin...

My request was in order to help newbies and standard users to have it enabled
since it is the only way to use this very good plugin not only for debian
gurus that have a seperate package allready, but maybe the end user is not
your point..

Excuse me for this way of saying things but I'm a bit upseted by your answer.

Romain
--
son, daddy left you were from you were four
I've got to struggle 'cos I am poor