[vlc] Sample of Mosaicing Files Using Windows?

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 28 01:10:03 CET 2006

Hi --
Does anyone have a sample of mosaicing 4 files together using VLC, with the
output then being a composite of them, whether to screen, or, preferably, to
an output file?

I'm looking for a sample vlm .conf file, and vlc command line, useable under
Windows.

I tried the Wiki quad mosaic example, substituting my filenames for the
inputs in the conf file, but nothing happened -- VLC opened, but clearly was
unhappy with my startup line, so it literally just opened the normal GUI,
wasn't doing anything.

There is no audio in the source .mp4 files -- they are purely mp4v or h264
video, encoded to .mp4 using VLC.  The real idea is to be able to generate
outputs so that you can then have a coherent discussion/comparison,
displaying the "baseline" really high quality source file playing
immediately next to sample(s) of it using different encoding parameters.

Goal:
Up to 4 files being mosaiced.  They happen to be of exactly the same thing,
just samples of running VLC with different CODECs, bitrates, frame sizes,
and frame rates.

Need to mosaic them into an overall 1280 x 960, 30 fps, high quality encoded
mp4 output file, this would cover the case where I have four 640x480 input
files.  If this is simply too brutal to accomplish, even given that the
encode can absolutely be non-real-time, is it doable to mosaic two 640x480
inputs together, create a 640x960 output, so I can play the one composite
file which will then show two comparison videos, one over the other?  In
such a case I could have my "baseline" high-res-high-bitrate picture in the
top half of the mosaic, and the same file using a lower bitrate in the
bottom half, so people can visually see the difference.

For the output .mp4 file, if it's doable to create the 1280x960, I would
like to "go for the gusto", generate a 4 mbps mp4v, or, even better, h264 --
IF it is possible to play a 30 fps 1280x960 h264 on a 3GHz PC.  Remember,
it's OK that the encode be non real-time, as this is for a presentation.  I
don't mind if it takes two hours for VLC to mosaic 4 54 second source files
into the one 54 second output file, as long as the output can then be played
on a 3 GHz PC.

Thanks.

Mark

(I should finally be getting back to VLC -- been having waay too much fun
diving and doing other work projects.  I've got multiple projects with video
coming around the corner now.)