[vlc] bug report: segmentation fault

zoran.bosnjak at via.si zoran.bosnjak at via.si
Mon Jun 5 20:24:46 CEST 2006

OS: FedoraCore4
linux-2.6.11 (unchanged from FC4)

HW: video capture card PV 143

VLC version: (0.8.5) and (vlc-trunk rev. 15820)

Problem description:
VLC crash with "segmentation fault".
I am trying to use VLC with PV 143 video capture card
on linux.
The hardware works fine with "tvtime" program under
linux and also VLC 0.8.5 under windows works with no
problems using direct show.
But I can not make it work under linux.
I have compiled VLC with ./configure --enable-v4l --enable-pvr
The problem occures repeatedly if I use
File->Open Capture Device->(PVR or Video4Linux) and OK
BTW: not sure should I use PVR or Video4Linux??
Please explain the difference!
In any case the VLC crashes with segmentation fault.

I have not set any (advanced) options, since I have assumed
that -1 or 0 means default value.

I have tested with VLC 0.8.5 and latest svn revision
and the problem is the same.

Additional info:
- As soon as I open "open capture device" there is an output
in console:
[00000249] main interface error: option dvdnav-caching does not exist

-"$vlc sample.mpg" works fine.
But even the example above didn't work until I
removed /usr/local/lib/vlc* (from previous instalation try)
and reinstalled vlc. Maybe there are some more old libs
laying around.

Please give me some idea how to troubleshoot the problem. If
there is any other test I should run, please let me know.

Thanks.

regards,
Zoran