[vlc] streaming screen capture

Julien Le Cléach julien.lecleach-ste-exterieure at fr.thalesgroup.com
Thu Jun 15 14:42:09 CEST 2006

Hello,

The aim of our work is to capture screen with vlc (windows / vlc 0.8.5) and stream it in real-time.
For that, we used a command like :

vlc screen:// :screen-fps=30
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=512,scale=1}:standard{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.54.120:1234}

On the other side, we use vlc to see the stream.

We first tried without any codec but client didn't get the stream.
Then we tried many codecs but mp4v and wmv2 seemed to give the best results.
We didn't get to work with h264 or theora. Sometimes it crashed, sometimes client didn't read anything.

The problems are :
1) after transcoding, the image produced is really awful
2) there is a delay of 3 seconds between any action on first screen and result on other screen

Can anyone tell me what could be the best parameters for having a correct image with real-time
compliance ?

Thanx.