[vlc] Problem transcoding to WMP9-supported stream.

Simen Thoresen simentt at dolphinics.no
Thu Jun 22 14:27:01 CEST 2006

Hi VLC people,

I've started looking into VLC for webcasts, and have found an odd issue
with streaming to Windows MediaPlayer 9 (please see the 'WMP and VLC
streaming' thread on streaming at videolan.org for details of my experiments.

I've found that the streams from VLC differ depending on the input
format (codecs, container-files). Transcoding with

':sout=#transcode{ vcodec=WMV1,vb=200,scale=0.5,acodec=mp3,ab=64,
channels=2}:duplicate{ dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,dst=:8080}} :sout-all'

I get a stream that plays perfectly on WMP10 from a 'divx'-file (the
first file I tested with, the 'Star Wreck' movie), but is rendered as
only a horizontal line in WMP9.

Using a 'mpg'-file (a mpeg1 movie from archive.org), it plays perfectly
on both WMP9 and -10.

I've been able to reproduce this using all vcodec options supported by
WMP9 and WMP10 - DIV1-3, WMV1, WMV2.

I also found that if I used a 'mp4' file (again, from archive.org), I
would crash both WMP9, WMP10 and the Win32-build of VLC 0.8.5. This was
from a VLC 0.8.4 build, and was not reproducible using VLC 0.8.5 (tested
  with the win32 0.8.5 build and my own, limited 0.8.5 build on x86_64
linux) so I guess it is fixed, altho I don't see why it should /crash/
the VLC 0.8.5 client either - that is probably a separate bug :-) ).

Files used
http://www.archive.org/download/operation_ivy/operation_ivy_256kb.mp4
http://www.archive.org/download/operation_ivy/operation_ivy.mpg
http://www.starwreck.com/media/switp/star_wreck_in_the_pirkinning_subtitled_xvid.avi

I'll be happy to test any improvements made, but my building-vlc skills
are fairly limited. My own 0.8.5 build is somewhat hacked together, and
I don't feel comfortable claiming that it works as it should.

Yours,
-S
--
Simen Thoresen, Dolphin ICS
Systems Administration and Wulfkit Support