[vlc] Re: how can i install videolan-client-0.8.4a-1.2.fc4.i386.rpm for redhat EL4?

Simen Thoresen simentt at dolphinics.no
Wed Jun 28 14:00:37 CEST 2006

chenw wrote:
> Thanks:)
>
>       when I excuted "rpm -ivh videolan-client-0.8.4a-4.el4.rf.i386.rpm ",
> there still have 7 failed dependencies.I have searced the missed
> dependencies
> and found still need to insall a new version of glibc(mine is
> glibc2.3.4-2.13), But it is very tough to update glibc:(
>       what should i do now?

Hi Chenw,

The glibc-update should be an official redhat update, so just use
up2date to get it (that's why you're paying for RHEL :-) ).

If you by some chance don't have a working up2date subscription, I would
think that you could use the CentOS package to update glibc;

http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.3/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/glibc-common-2.3.4-2.19.i386.rpm

...of course, you'll probably want to update the other pertinent
packages as well, to clear up the dependencies.

I believe this update may have been for the release of CentOS 4.3 (RHEL
4U3), so a lot of other packages were updated at the same time.

As these updates should not break binary compatibility, I'd guess that
you could just skip them. Issue a single 'rpm -i' line with all the Dag
packages you want, and when you've tweaked it until only the OS packages
remain, use --nodeps to hammer it in place.

No warranty of course, but a rpm -e should clean the packages back out.

Still - Good luck and have fun with this.

-S