[vlc] Performance of VLC on the new Mac Mini (dual core)?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Mar 3 23:48:48 CET 2006

Has anyone had a chance yet to evaluate the performance of VLC on the
new Mac Mini (with a dual-core Intel processor) that Apple announced
earlier this week?  I'm considering getting one of these to hook up
to my TV in my living room, with the idea of using VLC to play files
(such as HD DivX or MPEG-2 content - e.g., from BitTorrented TV
shows) that QuickTime would not be able to play.

I assume that - to get good performance - VLC would need to be
recompiled for the Intel-based Macs (or do the pre-built binaries
available on <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html>
already have native Intel code??).  Has anyone encounted any issue in
building VLC for Intel-based Macs?  How does VLC perform on the new
Mac Mini when playing commonly available 'tv show' media files?

	Ross.