[vlc] Re: Mac OS X vlc video artifacts question

Phil Pishioneri pgp at psu.edu
Mon Mar 6 16:38:48 CET 2006

On 3/2/06 8:26 PM, Dave Schroeder wrote:
> Does anyway know about the issue with the Mac OS X version of vlc
> showing serious MPEG artifacts or pixellation with particularly high
> bandwidth network streams?

Benjamin's email on this jogged my memory: we see this all the time --
artifacts on higher-bandwidth streams (about 10-12 Mbits/sec), due to
packets getting dropped in the network layer.

Our fix is to increase the UDP socket buffer before VLC starts playing
the stream, like so:

    sudo sysctl -w net.inet.udp.recvspace=131072

If this isn't sufficient, you may also have to do this

    sudo sysctl -w kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152

(I have several network settings changed for various applications, not
sure which go with which ones).  And there are others ways to make the
changes permanent, etc.

-Phil