[vlc] Re: Mac OS X vlc video artifacts question

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon Mar 6 17:08:42 CET 2006

On 6-mrt-2006, at 16:38, Phil Pishioneri wrote:
> On 3/2/06 8:26 PM, Dave Schroeder wrote:
>> Does anyway know about the issue with the Mac OS X version of vlc
>> showing serious MPEG artifacts or pixellation with particularly
>> high  bandwidth network streams?
>>

> Benjamin's email on this jogged my memory: we see this all the time
> -- artifacts on higher-bandwidth streams (about 10-12 Mbits/sec),
> due to packets getting dropped in the network layer.
>
> Our fix is to increase the UDP socket buffer before VLC starts
> playing the stream, like so:
>
>    sudo sysctl -w net.inet.udp.recvspace=131072
>
> If this isn't sufficient, you may also have to do this
>
>    sudo sysctl -w kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152
>
> (I have several network settings changed for various applications,
> not sure which go with which ones).  And there are others ways to
> make the changes permanent, etc.

Mmm, this is an interesting point. Because this is not something I
can tell or instruct all my users on the network to do. So what do
you guys think that is the problem here? where and how should this be
fixed? Because it's annoying as hell. (explains why my HD streams
behave so terrible on my Macs).

Is it a problem we should report to Apple as well? Let them know
about this issue?

DJ