[vlc] Stream to Windows Media Player

Alex Lynch jxlynch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 17:20:35 CET 2006

Hello,

I'm sort of a newbie. Ive used vlc as a client for a while, but now I want
to start streaming.
BTW: my machine info will be at the bottom...
My goal is to stream to multiple Win Media Player clients. Your
documentation says to do something like this:

*vlc -vvv my_file --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=256,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=32,channels=2}:std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8080}'
*

for VLC use mmsh://server_ip_address:8080 .

for Windows Media Player use mms://server_ip_address:8080 .

*
*

I have tried this several times and with many variations. WMP always says
the same thing: Cannot connect to the server(host).
I can ping the server from windows.
It seems like wmp doesn't know how to use the mms url.

My server is Gentoo Linux 2.6.15
I built vlc with almost all of the use flags.

The client machine is a Win2k pro running WMP 9.

Let me know if you need any more info,

Alex