[vlc] Re: Mac OS X vlc video artifacts question

Phil Pishioneri pgp at psu.edu
Tue Mar 7 00:46:33 CET 2006

On 3/6/06 6:11 PM, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> On Linux and I believe also under MacOS X we can use sockopt() function
> to enlarge the socket buffer for HD streams, but the downside of this is
> that the application needs to be run as root.

On Mac OS X, to see if you're dropping packets while VLC is playing the
stream (without making the change), keep running

    netstat -s -p UDP

and see if number in the line "dropped due to full socket buffers" keeps
increasing.

Simple script to check every 2 seconds:
 = = = =
#!/bin/bash

# there's a ":" at the end of the next line
while :
do
  netstat -s -p UDP
  sleep 2