[vlc] Re: Zero Byte Output

Peter Hutnick hutnick at gmail.com
Thu May 4 22:35:44 CEST 2006

I extracted contrib-20060428-win32-bin-gcc-3.4.5-only.tar.bz2 over my
existing cygwin install.  It no longer creates a zero byte file!  But
I'm only getting audio.

The relevant messages (and a little context) from the VLC message window follow.

message warning: message queue overflowed
ffmpeg debug: libavcodec initialized (interface 3276801 )
ffmpeg debug: postprocessing disabled
ffmpeg debug: ffmpeg codec (h264) started
main debug: using decoder module "ffmpeg"
main debug: looking for encoder module: 10 candidates
ffmpeg debug: libavcodec already initialized
ffmpeg debug: found encoder MPEG-2 Video
main debug: using encoder module "ffmpeg"
main debug: unlocking module "ffmpeg"
main debug: looking for encoder module: 10 candidates
ffmpeg debug: libavcodec already initialized
ffmpeg warning: MPEG1/2 does not support 2997/125 fps
 (mpeg2video at 01364810)
ffmpeg error: cannot open encoder
stream_out_transcode error: cannot find encoder
ffmpeg debug: ffmpeg codec (h264) stopped
main debug: unlocking module "ffmpeg"
main debug: adding a new input
stream_out_transcode debug: creating audio transcoding from fcc=`mp4a'
to fcc=`mp2a'

Clearly the problem is a missing MPEG2 codec for ffmepg, but I have no
idea where to get it or how to add it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

-Peter