[vlc] Hickup on DVD playing Star Wars Episode 1,2 and 3

Peer Oliver Schmidt posde at theinternet.de
Sun May 14 12:22:57 CEST 2006

Hi,

first post, and I hope this is the right place.

Playing the Star Wars Episode (1,2 or 3) DVDs causes a small "hickup"
during the first scene. Title 1, Chapter 3. On Episode 3 it is the
change from the star scene where the sun comes up. The film briefly
stops and continues to play maybe 1 second later. It seems as if the
movie is continuing in the timeline but is not displaying anything.

This happens each and every time at the same position. I am using the
german releases of the Star Wars DVDs, but suspect the same to happen on
other languages.

The following switches do not change this:
* fullscreen
* audio-track
* skip-frames

This happens on Windows 2000 and XP (with 0.8.5) and Ubuntu (with
0.8.4). Different machines show the same problem. It does not matter,
whether or not the DVD is backed up (using dvdbackup) before onto a hard
disk and played from there, or the DVD is played directly from the
media. I am using libdvdnav4 in version 0.1.9-3, libdvdread3 v0.9.4-5,
libdvdcss2 v1.2.9-0sarge0.0 on Ubuntu.

Apart from the above scene, it happens every now and then, that the
display stops for a moment (up to 15 seconds) before displaying
something again.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If you need more information,
let me know.
--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt