[vlc] Re: videolan over a gprs connection

Antoine Roussel antoine.roussel at gmail.com
Sat May 20 13:28:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

I don't know exactly your test configuration so there are two answers :

If you have a "perfect network" between your 2 GPRS devices, you can send
your data over UDP. By using UDP protocol, there isn't transmission control
or stat return from the client (indeed it isn't "connection oriented" like
TCP).

If you use an operator network, this will be trickier... Some of them allow
only few ports and few protocols. In this case, you should use the http
protocol. This is a problem, as you said, because of the low upload
bandwidth.

Concerning the video codec, the best ratio quality/bit rate is gained by
h264. For the audio codec, you an use MP3 or ogg for instance.

If you succeed, I would be interested in your experience feedback.

Antoine

--

Antoine Roussel
Telecom Lille Student