[vlc] Re: trying to setup vod server through firewall

Pedro Tumusok pedro.tumusok at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 12:09:41 CET 2006

On 11/2/06, jason at monsterjam.org <jason at monsterjam.org> wrote:

> hey, im trying to set up a streaming vod server per the instructions at
> http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch05.html
> and I can get it to stream a mpeg from a linux server to a linux client
> just fine on
> a local network.
>
> but when I run the vod server on a remote linux server thats behind a
> checkpoint
> firewall, It just doesnt work. heres the command im running on the server
> vlc --ttl 34 -vvv --color -I telnet --telnet-password videolan --rtsp-host
> 0.0.0.0:8080
>
> and I do
> new test vod enabled
> setup test input snow001.mpeg
> into the telnet interface
>
> and heres what I get on the client when I try to play that vod remotely.

Not that I really got a clue, but could it be related to the fact that the
server seems to be running on an RFC1918 IP, 10.1.22.44, ie behind a NAT
setup ?
I never played with the VOD solution, but you should probably compare the
describe messages that you see when its working and when it is not working.
Another thing I find strange is the c= IN IP 0.0.0.0, which is more due to
my ignorance about VOD solution than anything else.

--
Best regards / Mvh
Jan Pedro Tumusok

Back when I had a little I thought that I needed a lot
A little was over rated, but a lot was a little too complicated
You see-Zero didn't satisfy me. A million didn't make me happy
That's when I learned a lesson. That it's all about your perception