[vlc] Re: Compiling Troubles

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Sun Oct 15 23:12:30 CEST 2006

On Oct 15, 2006, at 1:57 PM, Christophe Mutricy wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 15, 06 at 13:41 -0700, galenz at zinkconsulting.com wrote:
>> I'm attempting to compile VLC 0.8.5 for Mac OS X under Intel and
>> having a problem with the build process. When it attempts to fetch
>> ffmpeg, the connection to the mplayer cvs fails. What's the best
>> workaround? Even when I put the manually downloaded files into the
>> proper src directory, it seems to insist on re-downloading them.
>
> Since VLC 0.8.5 was released, FFMPEG cvs moved (and switched to svn).
>
> I would advise to use a snapshot (http://nightlies.videolan.org) or
> use the svn.
>

> --
> Xtophe

Dave & Xtophe,

Thanks for the quick response. I've grabbed the latest svn snapshot
and am building it now.

As for why I'm building my own VLC... I am making sure everything is
"working" so I can control for the problems I'm having in building
VLC with ICC (Intel's optimized compiler.) Once I have a 100% working
GCC VLC build, I can be sure that any failures happening when I
switch the compiler over from GCC to ICC are due to ICC and not some
other local problem.

-Galen