[vlc] vlc ffmpeg Xbox 360

Matt mattmoran76 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:56:14 CEST 2007

For the archives really.  I've been trying for a while to convert divx to
wmv (with wma audio) using VLC 0.8.6a and FFMPEG 0.4.9-0.35.20070204 on
Linux.  (Works fine on Windows)

I got the video without sound problem and the error message that Windows
Media Audio 1 (or 2) encoder could not be found.

I downloaded FFMPEG from svn and built it with the enable-encoder options
and tried again with VLC but still the same problem.  I looked at building
VLC, but decided to just try it with FFMPEG first with:

ffmpeg -i file.avi -vcodec wmv2 -b 1500kb/s -acodec wmav2 -ab 96k -ac 2
file.wmv

And it works perfectly, quality isn't great but it plays back on the Xbox
360 fine.

FFMPEG info -
FFmpeg version SVN-r8759, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --enable-decoder=wmav1 --enable-decoder=wmav2
--enable-shared --enable-encoder=wmav1 --enable-encoder=wmav2
--enable-encoder=wmv3 --enable-encoder=wmv2 --enable-encoder=wmv1
  libavutil version: 49.4.0
  libavcodec version: 51.40.4
  libavformat version: 51.12.1

Tried to encode wmv3 and got no joy.

I know this isn't a specific VLC issue, but I know a lot of people have this
problem on linux as i've searched the forums looking :-)

Matt