[vlc] Re: Does VLC handle H.263 video over RTP?

Kim Schulz kim at schulz.dk
Mon Apr 30 20:46:32 CEST 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:47:38 -0400
"Pedro Sanchez" <psanchez at nortel.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 18:13 +0200, Kim Schulz wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:57:41 -0400
> > "Pedro Sanchez" <psanchez at nortel.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to get VLC to decode a H.263 video stream that comes
> > > over RTP. The video server offers two tracks, one for audio and
> > > one for video. VLC only requests to play the audio track and
> > > ignores video. Is there something special that has to be present
> > > in the offered SDP for VLC to send the SETUP and PLAY commands to
> > > the video server?
> > >
> > > I'm using VLC 0.8.6 on both XP and Linux with identical results.
> > > For your reference, I attach the RSTP negotiation that takes
> > > between VLC and the video server.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > I actually have kinda the same problem. The video is played just
> > fine, but the audio (in my case mp3) is completely ignored. I have
> > logged the RTP traffic and can see that VLC do get the audio
> > packets but nothing ever happens to them (they are not even
> > mentioned in the logs - log level 2).
> >
> > --
> >     Kim Schulz       | Blog: http://www.schulz.dk/
> > Email: Kim at schulz.dk | Work: http://www.devteam.dk/
> > Phone: +45 5190 4262 | Fun : http://www.chilifan.dk/
> >

> Is your video H.263? If so, can you share the SDP you are using?

sure.
The SDP I send looks like:
v=0
o=VDP 1097139000 1097144000 IN IP4 192.168.0.1
s=VDP DEMO
t=0 0
m=video 8888 RTP/AVP 34
c=IN IP4 192.168.0.1
a=rtpmap:34 H263-2000/90000
a=cliprect:0,0,576,704
m=audio 8890 RTP/AVP 14
c=IN IP4 192.168.0.1
b=AS:96
a=rtpmap:14 MPA/22050/2

The video is shown just fine (besides some timing issues - see other
post) but the audio is completely ignored. I can see in wireshark that
vlc does in fact get the audio data but it does not recognize it.