[vlc] Re: Does VLC handle H.263 video over RTP?

Pedro Sanchez psanchez at nortel.com
Mon Apr 30 21:46:09 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 12:00 -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> The problem with your stream is that it is using the now-obsolete
> "video/H263" media type defined in RFC 2190.  The "LIVE555 Streaming
> Media" library - and thus VLC - does not handle this obsolete RTP
> payload type.
>
> However, we do handle the more up-to-date RTP payload formats
> "video/H263-1998" and "video/H263-2000", defined by RFC 2429 and RFC
> 4629.  (These are essentially the same; the only difference being
> that RFC 4629 defines some additional optional parameters.)
>
> If possible, you should update your stream to use H.263-1998 (also
> commonly called H.263+).  (If you do this, you should use a dynamic
> RTP payload code - i.e., not 34.)
> --
>
> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

Unfortunately, the video stream is coming from an embedded box I can't
control. Your answer is useful anyway because it tells me that I simply
cannot use VLC in this case.

If you know of any other player that can decode H263/90000 please let me
know. I tried Realplayer and it fails to decode this stream as well.

Thank you,

--
Pedro