[vlc] VLC Player for UIQ3

Václav Koldus vaclav.koldus at avpark.cz
Tue Aug 7 10:25:00 CEST 2007

Pierre ROULLET napsal(a):
> Jean-Baptiste Kempf a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 05, 2007, Ax wrote :
>>

>>>    First of all thanks because developing VLC Player.
>>>    It's a great video player for my PC.
>>>    But I really wish if VLC Player can be port to UIQ3 so that my phone can
>>>    play several types of video and audio.
>>>    I hope that you can take my wish into consideration.
>>>

>> VLC is being tryed to get ported to Symbian S60, so it *might* be a start
>> for port to UIQ. But this is not sure.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>

> it depends if the porting is based mainly on S60 than Symbian which I
> think will be the case
> so UIQ porting will be harder.
>
> Especially to the parser and the render
>
> BR
>
> Pierre

Well, VLC depends on many many libraries which allows it to
open/decode/play all the files/movies it can play.
For successfull portage it's required to port as many libraries as
needed for at least basic function which won't
be easy.

The good news is that if someone ports all these libraries for S60, it
won't be hard to use them under UIQ 3.
(probably not binaries, but sources should compile)

Thanks to Symbian strict application architecture the core code should
be usable with some simple modifications
as well.
Only thing that is different from the S60 version is the UI which isn't
hard to code.

So if S60 version will work, it should be possible to port it to UIQ 3
as well.
But as I said earlier, it's not a simple task so it could take a while...

V.