[vlc] Choosing Ethernet Interface on Multicast Join

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:34:55 CET 2007

Dave,

I've done this by adding a route the multicast class D range.  You end
up with your mcast addresses on the non-default eth.  VLC is happily
ignorant of this, and you can stream between networks.

This does it for the entire class D range (224 upwards) to a different
network interface.

       sudo route add -net 224.0.0.0 192.168.1.0 240.0.0.0

It's important to restart VLC after route changes though.

George

On Dec 8, 2007 6:09 AM, David Devereaux-Weber, P.E. <dave at doit.wisc.edu> wrote:
> We are attempting to join a multicast on an Intel/Apple X-Serve with 2
> Ethernet interfaces.  Using vlc v0.6.8c.  We would like to pick up a
> multicast on Ethernet0 and stream it out on Ethernet1.  Ethernet1 is the
> default port.  Is there a way to force vlc to use Ethernet0 for the input?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave
>
> --
> David Devereaux-Weber, P.E.
> dave at doit.wisc.edu
> http://cable.doit.wisc.edu/
> Network Services
> Division of Information Technology
> The University of Wisconsin - Madison
> (608)262-3584

George Bray, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.