[vlc] AMV format?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 21:22:00 CET 2007

On 25/12/2007, Pavlov Konstantin <thresh at altlinux.ru> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 06:48:57PM +0000, David Gerard wrote:

> > http://code.google.com/p/amv-codec-tools/ looks promising. Says
> > "alpha", but I'm prepared to put up with quite a bit of work kicking
> > it if it means I can annoy everyone I meet with videos of my baby
> > daughter :-D

> IIRC, this is just a patch to ffmpeg, so should be pretty possible to
> integrate the support to ffmpeg and then tell VLC to use fourcc's of the
> needed kind by means of ffmpeg plugin.

Yes,it's a severely hacked-up version of ffmpeg. I just used it to
encode a test video, which sort of worked - though I can see why they
say it's "alpha" ;-) The original was a 6MB WMV, and the AMV was 20MB!
The aspect ratio was wrong (16:9 to 5:4) and the sound was choppy.

But this is way better than nothing for my purposes. Presumably when
it's ready, they'll send the code in for ffmpeg, then VLC can get it
that way.

- d.