[vlc] VLC.app gets BIGGER in file size (every item inside it) after some special issue_not a crash (Mac OS X)

Thomas Reuter t.reuter at netcologne.de
Fri Feb 9 07:47:42 CET 2007

Very mysterious, I try to describe:

I was working on an issues with Firefox PlugIns (did not start the VLC application).
Testing Firefox with my installed Internet PlugIns, ran into a conflict between VLC PlugIn and
QuickTime. Nothing involving the VLC application.

Just in the process of narrowing down possible causes, in try to get a fresh copy of the PlugIn, I
redownloaded a fresh VLC 0.8.6a, reinstalled it, compared it against that old suspicious copy.

The fresh copy is 41,9MB in size, the "old" is 72,7MB!!!
Every file inside the package has "grown" to BIGGER. Must have happened 5 days ago according to the
modification dates. Don´t remember a certain crash or issue that day.
E.g. vlc_libdirac_decoder.dylib from original 364kB to 752kB (and so on).

Don´t know if this is interesting for anyone there.
I´ll keep copies of the logs and that "grown app", ready to send/post/investigate if told so.

B.T.W.:
Getting the PlugIn
I sure remember I have installed the VLC Plugin (v 0.12) from a dedicated dmg file (just lost it
because of a head crash of my USB hard drive). I am sure I downloaded it more or less recently.
But I can´t find by any means where to obtain that image again, only by "building it myself".
Has it been pulled back by someone?

Thomas