[vlc] how does mux=raw work?

Gun Akkor gakkor at patton.com
Fri Feb 16 19:38:08 CET 2007

Hello,

I am trying to capture video from a Video4Linux compatible
card, and I would like to store the captured video
"without" compression in a file. I tried:

vlc -vvv v4l:// :v4l-vdev="/dev/video0" :v4l-norm=1 --sout
'#duplicate{dst=display,
dst=std{access=file,mux=raw,dst="/tmp/test"}}'

VLC debug output shows me that the v4l demuxer grabs the
video as "es RV24 352x288". The VLC seems to change the
chroma values from RV24 352x288 -> YUY2 352x288 for
display purposes. The video is displayed correctly, and
the file is created without a problem.

However, I can not playback the resulting file. Because
VLC assumes that the input container is either MPEG TS or
MPEG PS. It realizes that something is wrong with the
demux, but still keeps going.

Can anybody provide input on how to store captured video
as-is in a file and display it later on using VLC?

Thanks in advance,
Gun

PS. I tried to use :demux=dump :demuxdump-file="/tmp/test"
without success. But it is possible that I am doing
something wrong.

Gun Akkor, Ph.D.
Engineering Department
Patton Electronics, Co.