[vlc] Reading stream position with separate program

Andrew Cunningham asc99c at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 7 19:57:39 CET 2007

Hi all,

I have a HTPC which has a 2 line VFD, in the style of standalone
DVD-players, on the front. This displays current position / file length when
videos are playing and supports a lot of media players but unfortunately not
VLC. It is a Soundgraph iMon VFD unit, and thankfully it comes with a plugin
mode where I can just write a program that calls a SetText routine from a
downloadable API to display whatever I want on the VFD.

I have written a test plugin that just prints current date and time to the
display. What I need now is to query a running VLC instance for the current
position and total file length so that I can show that.