[vlc] running VLC as a daemon w/ a rc-unix interface

Gun Akkor gakkor at patton.com
Wed Jan 10 05:18:30 CET 2007

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered
previously, but my search over the Internet failed to
return an answer.

I would like to run VLC in daemon mode while keeping an
unix socket open. Ultimately, I want to be able to pass
commands to the VLC server from a C++ program using the
open socket.

I was able to initialize an interface and send commands
through it by starting the VLC as follows

> vlc -I rc --rc-unix /tmp/vlc.vty

however, I was not successful when I added the --daemon
option; i.e

> vlc --daemon -I rc --rc-unix /tmp/vlc.vty

fails to create the socket file, and starts the vlc with
the GUI.

I tried running VLC as a daemon with a telnet interface
(vlc -d --intf telnet), and it seems to work. But I would
rather have a local domain socket, because my intention is
to access the socket through a local program running on
the same device not allowing remote access.

Is is possible to run vlc in the background while keeping
a socket file open? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

(I am running Linux distro Kubuntu Dapper on a x86 PC)

Gun Akkor, Ph.D.
Engineering Department
Patton Electronics, Co.
Gaithersburg, MD 20879