[vlc] unicows.dll

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Jul 5 08:07:30 CEST 2007

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 23:43:18 -0500, jrrelay at juno.com wrote:
> 1.  change the web-page to cause one to answer a question whether unicows
> is available when needed and giving a link if the answer be 'no' and
> allowing download if the answer be 'yes'.
>
> 2. providing a warning in the loader,
>
> or
> 3.   (just a guess)  include unicows among the applications  own files.

We cannot ship unicows along VLC due to licensing incompatibility.

We cannot build VLC so that it would not need Unicows because this would
prevent users of Windows 2000 (or more recent) from accessing certain
files on their system.

In any case, we cannot support Windows 95/98/ME since Microsoft itself
has dropped support for them.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/