[vlc] screen: capture with audio needed.

Hussayn Dabbous hussayn.dabbous at saxess.de
Mon Jun 18 14:31:48 CEST 2007

Hello;

I have been using VLC since a couple of weeks now in the area
of screen capturing AND streaming. We are quite happy with that
solution, except one problem, which we can not solve:

We want to capture the output window of an animation application
directly from screen and stream the captured data directly to
a streamingserver. Hence we created a VLC command line like this:

vlc screen: --sout '#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,venc=ffmpeg,vb=1024,scale=1,acodec=mpga,ab=192,channels=2,
width=350,height=300,audio-sync,croptop=10,cropbottom=1290,cropleft=10,cropright=2200,fps=5}
:rtp{dst=192.168.1.183,port=1234,sdp=file://d:/movies/ct.sdp,ttl=12}'

While we successfully get the video captured and streamed, the additional audio stream is
NOT captured. Somewhere i have read, the the screen: device can not capture audio, hence i
tried to use some directshow emulators, which are capable to emulate a dshow: device. I wanted
to use this emulator as input for VLC. But unfortunately either they did not work as expected,
or they put additional cpu load on the allready overstressed CPU (and do not work either due to
tiering down the animation application near to uselessness)

Now  i think about two remaining options:

1.) Maybe i can somehow grab the audio with VLC and merge it together with the video stream before
     streaming it away towards the streamingserver. That would mean, vlc can be configured to get
     multiple input streams at the same time (here one video stream AND one audio stream).
     Has this been implemented at all? If so, how would i have to rewrite the command line ?
     I did not find any hint, that such an approach would work at all ...

2.) Add audio grabbing to the screen: device. As i have touched c/c++ the last time about 7 years
     ago, i am afraid, implementing this stuff all alone on a software, the source code of which i
     have never seen before, doesn't seem to be an efficient approach ;-) So maybe there is somebody
     out in the world, who would like to help out ? i mean, only if it is feasible to implement
     such an add on thing...

I darely hope, i am completely wrong and someone would come up with a vlc command line which
solves my problem in a snap...

So... Anyone there, who could help me with some info, pointers to solutions, or direct help ?
That would be great.

thank you all in advance,
chears, Hussayn

--