[vlc] Re: Help support VideoLAN - only 2 min of your time

Julian Allen julian_k_allen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 22:33:02 CEST 2007

They also stream video using WMP format (asx). I'm using VLC to watch their news clips just fine. For instance:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/world/video/100000/nb/100829_16x9_nb.asx

My main beef with the Beeb is that they restrict most of their high definition broadband streams to UK users so ex-pat Brits living abroad, like me, are blocked from watching them.

Also, I think that one reason they don't push VLC use is that they don't want people recording (oops, I mean "transcoding" ;) their video or audio streams. I've read that the main reason they used to only publish RealPlayer streams is that RealPlayer doesn't allow "rewind" during playback. (Huh?!!)

=Julian=

Antoine Cellerier <dionoea at videolan.org> wrote: On Mon, Jun 18, 2007, Nic Daniau wrote:
>    Q: Does BBC format plays with VideoLAN?
>    A: YES

That might be true for radio streams but video news clips on
news.bbc.co.uk unfortunately don't play in VLC yet ... :/

Anyway, the idea sounds great. Thanks for the help and support!

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea