[vlc] Re: can vlc recognize rtp video stream?

chris.2.dobbs at bt.com chris.2.dobbs at bt.com
Tue Mar 6 14:54:32 CET 2007

If you are not sending an encapsulated steam (i.e MPEG_TS), then VLC
will need an sdp file to tell it what the RTP stream is. I used this one
to get VLC to play an RTP/H263 stream

start vlc like this:
vlc -vvv file://c:\file.sdp

where file.sdp is your sdp file which should look something like this:

v=0
o=- 7776 3 IN IP4 10.215.130.112
s=Test H263 stream
i=Parameters for the session streamed by "ChipsAhoyH263"
t=0 0
m=video 7776 RTP/AVP 98
a=rtpmap:98 H263-1998/90000
a=fmtp:98 profile=0; level=40
b=TIAS:2048000

7776 is the port I am streaming to in this case and the RTP payload type
is a dynamic one (98)
You will need to make sure your streamer set this correctly in the RTP
header (PT field).

Check my recent postings on H263 streaming as I have recently been
though the wringer on this subject...
-Chris