[vlc] Limiting the input FPS

Christopher Brooks cab938 at mail.usask.ca
Thu Mar 15 20:04:56 CET 2007

So, I'm using this framegrabber device
(http://www.epiphan.com/products/product.php?pid=1) which I've mentioned in
the past with VLC.  The device is pretty limited - it tries to pump out
frames as fast as it can, and (through direct show, though I imagine this is
the same for V4L) I try and dump them into an ogg file.  Usually this tanks
VLC, but sometimes it works.

One of the issues is that the FPS coming out of the device seems very
variable, and I'm thinking that if I can rate limit it (e.g. to 5 fps) then
I might be able to improve the stability (and get it to record in something
other than ogg).  Any thoughts on the parameter I might send to VLC to get
it to only poll from this device at 5fps?

Chris

--
Christopher A. Brooks
Research Officer, ARIES Group