[vlc] Re: How to playback TS file without PAT or PMT?

Deti Fliegl deti at fliegl.de
Mon May 7 23:31:36 CEST 2007

Sigmund Augdal wrote:
>> What am I doing wrong? I really would appreciate if anyone could
>> tell me how to call vlc from command line to properly decode
>> transport streams without PAT or PMT.
> What you are really doing wrong is trying to play ts files without
> PAT and PMT. You should complain to whoever sent you the files. If
> you really need to play these files, play them in mplayer.
If you need to receive a multicast stream you're stuck with vlc.

> P.S: If you really really need to play these files in vlc you should
> look into the --ts-extra-pmt option.
The vlc documentation lacks some examples but after studying the code it
should work like that:

vlc --verbose=2 --ts-extra-pmt 2=255:1,256:3 26.ts

[00000313] ts demuxer debug: extra pmt specified (pid=2)
[00000313] ts demuxer debug:   * es pid=255 type=1 fcc=mpgv
[00000302] main input debug: selecting program id=0
[00000313] ts demuxer debug:   * es pid=256 type=3 fcc=mpga

PID 256 contains mpeg audio but I only see the picture (which is quite
an achievement :). Is there something I can do to get the audio decoded too?

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> you had better fix your capturing application instead. In order to
> make mplayer work that way I had to write some of my worst code
Thanks for that wonderful ugly code which works quite well for me. It
seems to me it would be better to add some multicast client code to
mplayer than some magic ts PID scanner to vlc.

Deti