[vlc] How to decode video by listening on a socket

Pedro Sanchez psanchez at nortel.com
Wed May 9 19:46:24 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have VLC working fine when accessing a RTSP URL such us
rtsp://server.com/clip. The video is in H.263-1998 format and is sent
over RTP/UDP with a dynamic type value that VLC gets to know during the
RTSP negotiation.

Now, for different reasons I want to start VLC and get it to listen
directly on a specified port for the same RTP/UDP video stream, that is,
I want to skip the initial RTSP negotiation and get right away into
video decoding.

I tried just writing "vlc udp://@:2000", where 2000 is the port video is
being sent to. But as expected nothing happens. My theory is that in
this case VLC doesn't recognize the incoming stream as video because it
knows nothing about the dynamic payload type in the RTP packet.

So my question is, is there any way to specify in the command line the
video type of the incoming stream as well?

Thanks,

--
Pedro