[vlc] Re: How to decode video by listening on a socket

Pedro Sanchez psanchez at nortel.com
Fri May 11 21:34:56 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-05 at 10:15 -0400, Pedro Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 18:38 -0400, Phil Pishioneri wrote:

> > > I didn't know I could point VLC to a SDP file directly. I put this file
> > > in Web server and now I just type "vlc http://server.com/clip.sdp" to
> > > get the video going. Great!
> > >

> > Hello,
> >
> > Would you mind sharing the SDP file you created?
> >
> > -Phil
>
> Not at all, here it is:
>
> v=0
> o=NNMAS 1 696 IN IP4 47.135.81.46
> s=-
> e=unknown at invalid.net
> t=0 0
> m=video 2002 RTP/AVP 99
> c=IN IP4 47.130.105.187
> a=rtpmap:99 H263-1998/90000
> a=fmtp:99 QCIF=2
> a=maxprate:30.0
> a=framerate:10.0
> a=sendrecv
>
> VLC doesn't care about the IP address in the c field. It just figures
> out the port to listen on (2002) and the video format. You also have to
> ensure that the SDP video type (99 in this case) matches the RTP payload
> type of the incoming video stream.
>
> --
> Pedro

One more item remaining: VLC times out and stops listening on the socket
if there is no video stream. My stream may take several seconds to show
up and I don't want VLC to stop listening forcing the user to click on
the play key. Is there a way to tell VLC to never timeout in this
scenario?

Thanks,

--
Pedro