[vlc] Busting patent law myths

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Sep 21 15:49:43 CEST 2007

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> It is surely not a myth. They (Linux distributors) are surely not responsible
> for third parties distributing would-be patent encumbered software for their
> distribution, under any remotely sensible legal system.

This doesn't address the point I raised.  Any distributor is responsible
for what they distribute, not what others distribute.  I'm guessing this
is why Red Hat doesn't distribute VLC; VLC has an MP3 decoder in it and
therefore (in the US, where Red Hat is based) has a good chance of
infringing on Fraunhofer's (actively-enforced) MP3 decoding patents.

> If it were false, I wonder how Microsoft would not have gone bankrupt out of
> paying patent infringment damages, since it is their platform that has both
> the largest user base and the largest set of applications from third parties.

Large patent-holders (such as Microsoft but most notably IBM) often
cross-license with one another.  IBM said they get an order of magnitude
more value from cross-licensing patents than they get from collecting
patent license fees
(http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Links/prep.ai.mit.edu/ibm.think.article).  See
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/software-patents.html for more on the
value of cross-licensing for multinational mega-corporations.

I still don't see the logic behind the idea of distributing source code
as a means of evading patent law (again, only applicable in countries
that have software patents).  If this were so, there would be no
practical threat from software patents as we'd all exclusively
distribute source code and any ideas implemented in that code would be
immune from patent infringement.

I also don't see how those from software patent-encumbered countries
(like the US) are somehow immune from risking losing a patent
infringement lawsuit when they obtain software from a country that
doesn't have software patents (like France).  If this were so, FLOSS
development would mostly come from countries without software patents
and again the threat of software patents would be minimal.  Hence, I can
see why Americans would be reluctant to distribute VLC where the French
are not.