[vlc] Can i use VLC Media PLayer in My Software?

Pedro Tumusok pedro.tumusok at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 15:48:09 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Jennifer Nisi <jennifer_nisi at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hello
> I am developing a software which downloads Videos from youtube.com. Now
> since I need to include the FLV player and VLC Media Player does that very
> nicly So can I include the VLC Media Player (Active X) in my sofware. The
> software would be sold for $9.95 on the internet
>
> In my software the VLC Player will be used to Play online streaming Videos
> and the FLV Videos. So can i use VLC media Player in my software? If yes do
> I need to write anything in Copyright License Section of the software?
> Please let me know in detail Also I would request you to please let me know
> what should I write in Copyright License Section for VLC

The answer to your question is both yes and no, depending on how you
distribute your application and how you use VLC with your application.
VLC is licensed under the GPLv2 license I believe, which lets you use the
source code and include it with your own software, but then you have to also
let others have your source code.

I am no affiliated with VLC in anyway, so this is not an approval of any
kind, just an attempt of explaining some points.
But read up on GPL licenses and see if you its compatible with your software
project.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

--
Best regards / Mvh