[vlc] can't use xvideo output module when xine is opened

Xavier _xavier_ at laposte.net
Sat Apr 19 11:17:39 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a little problem with video output module of vlc.

If I have xine opened (but not running), vlc can't use the xvideo video
output module. I have got the following messages:

----
main debug: looking for video output module: 6 candidates
xvideo warning: no free XVideo port found for format 0x30323449 (I420)
xvideo warning: no free XVideo port found for format 0x32595559 (YUY2)
xvideo warning: no free XVideo port found for format 0x36315652 (RV16)
x11 debug: Window manager supports NetWM
x11 debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
x11 debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE
x11 debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW
x11 debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP
main debug: using video output module "x11"
----

If I close xine, then I can use the xvideo video output module:

----
main video output debug: looking for video output module: 6 candidates
xvideo video output debug: adaptor 0, port 73, format 0x32315659 (YV12)
planar
xvideo video output debug: Window manager supports NetWM
xvideo video output debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
xvideo video output debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE
xvideo video output debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW
xvideo video output debug: Window manager supports
_NET_WM_STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP
main video output debug: using video output module "xvideo"
----

It is like xine was locking the access to xvideo.
I'm using Debian etch and VLC media player 0.8.6a Janus.
Package version 0.8.6-svn20061012.debian-5.1+etch2.

On my other computer (with Debian unstable and VLC media player 0.8.6e
Janus), I haven't this problem. The messages are:

----
main debug: looking for video output module: 6 candidates
xvideo debug: adaptor 0, port 74, format 0x32315659 (YV12) planar
xvideo debug: XShm video extension v1.1 (with pixmaps, opcode: 146)
xvideo debug: Window manager supports NetWM
xvideo debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
xvideo debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE
xvideo debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW
xvideo debug: Window manager supports _NET_WM_STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP
main debug: using video output module "xvideo"
----

Do you have an idea of the cause of the problem ?
vlc version ?
xserver ?
video card driver ?
anything else ?