[vlc] JVLC testing...

Javier Gálvez Guerrero javier.galvez.guerrero at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 00:45:40 CEST 2008

Thanks, Keith. Now I'm able to launch a stand-alone VLC window and play a
video.

Now I'm trying to embed it into a Java Swing application but it launches an
exception that I can't understand:

JFrame frame = new JFrame("VLCExample");
        frame.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(225, 285));
        frame.setResizable(false);

        Container cner = frame.getContentPane();
        cner.setLayout(new BoxLayout(cner, BoxLayout.Y_AXIS));

        JPanel panel = new JPanel();
        Canvas canvas = new Canvas();
        frame.setLayout(new FlowLayout());
        JVLC jvlc = new JVLC(args);
        jvlc.setVideoOutput(canvas); ---> // Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Component must be displayable
        panel.add(canvas);                // at
com.sun.jna.Native.getComponentID(Native.java:159)
        cner.add(panel);                  // at
org.videolan.jvlc.JVLC.setVideoOutput(JVLC.java:90)
                                          // at
test.JVLCTest.main(JVLCTest.java:47)
        frame.pack();
        frame.setVisible(true);

Any idea or sample to guess how to embed a JVLC window in a Java Swing
application?

By the way, now that the 0.9.0 version of VLC is to come in following days,
is going to appear any kind of documentation like a Javadoc in JVLC site?

And, as VLM setup has changed quite a lot since it seems that there's no
need of interact with the telnet interface anymore (with a lot of new
improvements I suppose), will the VLC official documentation be updated in
the following weeks due to this new version release?

Thank you a lot,
Javi