[vlc] Serve the DVD's MPEG encoded stream through UPNP

Tue Aug 19 12:42:32 CEST 2008

Hello,
  I'll expose the problem dates and after I'll say what I would like to do.

- 1 NAS ( with ARM cpu and linux on it ) - full with stored videos, in most
cases DVD images ( dvd-name.dvd ) and DVD stored in folders (ie
movied-dvd/VIDEO_TS)
- 1 DVD Player ( with SIGMA decoder also with linux on it ) - it can play
local mpeg files or mpeg files served through upnp very well.

The Sigma dvd player doesn't know about dvd menus or how to playing
commercial dvd's, so I would like to create an application that will run on
the nas and will:
- decrypt the dvd's using libdvdcss
- select the desired audio track and subtitle
- serve the main dvd mpeg stream (unmodified, don't do any decoding/encoding
because the NAS cpu can't handle it) through upnp to the Sigma dvd player.
(it can be created also a transcoding plugin for an already existing upnp
server like Media Tomb or others)

I'm interested in starting a such project and releasing the source code as
GPL. If someone has any knowledge how can be better implemented this or if
someone can handle by himself to do all the project in about a week I'll be
interested in discussing further.
Any other help will be very appreciated.

Regards,
Fiire
mail _at_ fiire -dot- com