[vlc] Building VLC nightlies withoug affecting stable install

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Mon Dec 1 18:52:48 CET 2008

Hello,

2008/12/1 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>:
> I am an Ubuntu user who regularly needs to view RTSP streams. I would
> like to start following the development of VLC and to file bugs on the
> nightlies. How can I build the nightlies without affecting the stable
> VLC installation? I would prefer to use a separate command to open the
> development VLC, such as:
> $ vlc-nightlies rtsp://some-old-server/file.wmv

The best is to compile and not install
Then you can go in the directory with vlc and do ./vlc rtsp://....

To compile: See wiki.videolan.org/wiki/Git to get the sources
apt-get install build-essential cvs ; apt-get build-dep vlc  to get
the tools and libraries
./bootstrap
./configure --lots-of-options
make