[vlc] API: Howto handle inappropriate timings in MPEG2 files

Fabian Wolter vlc at fabian-wolter.de
Sat Dec 6 21:07:41 CET 2008

Hello,

playing video files, recorded by VDR, results in strange values of the
"current position"/length indicator on the standard VLC interface. So
the indicator shows an offset of e.g. 10h. and a length of 10:45,
although the whole recording only takes 45min.

I uploaded a sample of 6 sec. to http://fabian-wolter.de/001.vdr (6MB),
where the indicator shows 5:31:21 / 5:31:27 when the recording starts
playing.

Normally that doesn't bother me, since the slider works properly. It
starts leftmost and ends rightmost. But now I want to use libvlc to play
these files and I'm wondering where to get the right timing information
to implement a slider on my interface. The libvlc_MediaPlayerTimeChanged
event gives me the current position with the offset named above. Same
with libvlc_media_player_get_length.

Where does the slider on the standard VLC interface gets its information
from?

Regards,
Fabian