[vlc] access problem with a screen reader (Windows and Linux)

David Klein david.klein at gmx.at
Tue Dec 9 17:16:45 CET 2008

Dear developer team,

I am blind and so I'm using a screen reader. A screen reader is a software
which translates the information from screen into Braille and display it on
a Braille display and gives also feedback via synthetic speech.

The problem is that you changed from wxWidgets to Qt since version 0.9.x.
It's not possible for any screen reader to handle with Qt because of it's
structure. The new GUI makes it impossible for all blind and visually
impaired people to use VLC media player. That's a pity because it is a very
good project. This problem affects all blind and visually impaired people
who want to use this software.
The best solution would be to go back to wxWidgets or to make both GUIs
available.

I hope that this problem will be solved soon.

Yours sincerely

David Klein