[vlc] access problem with a screen reader (Windows and Linux)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Wed Dec 10 15:34:27 CET 2008

    Hello,

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:16:45 +0100, "David Klein" <david.klein at gmx.at>
wrote:
> The problem is that you changed from wxWidgets to Qt since version 0.9.x.
> It's not possible for any screen reader to handle with Qt because of it's
> structure. The new GUI makes it impossible for all blind and visually
> impaired people to use VLC media player. That's a pity because it is a
> very good project. This problem affects all blind and visually impaired
> people who want to use this software.
> The best solution would be to go back to wxWidgets or to make both GUIs
> available.

The problem is simple: the main developper behind the WxWidgets interface
had to leave the project (due to discontinued support from his employer, if
I understand correctly). On top of that, we had severe problems with
mishandling of Unicode by WxWidgets, and the poor overall code quality of
the VLC-WxWidgets plugin.

I understand that this is frustrating, but I would rather not leave you
with false hopes with regards to the Wx plugin.

We would of course welcome a new developper/maintainer for a
Braille-compatible user interface, or better yet make the Qt4 interface
usable as J-B already mentioned.

Best regards,

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont